HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! It’s 2012!!! WOOHOOO!!! So, like every new year, I’ve come up with a resolution. Actually, I have MANY resolutions. Resolutions that will undoubtedly be unresolved by year end 🙂 But if I only complete one of them then I’ll have been successful!!! You see, that’s why I make MANY resolutions, so the odds of succeeding are much better. Some years I even repeat failed resolutions from previous years. Now, some may call that cheating, but I like to think of it as persistence. And persistence is a good trait, right?
Well, one of this year’s resolutions is… wait for it… dum da duuumm…26.2 miles… yup, to complete a MARATHON!! Now, I’ve tried this one once before, but didn’t get to complete it due to injuries. YAY, it’s going back on the list!! I think if I train properly this time, I WILL succeed!! You see, last time my training consisted of just running, with an occasional yoga or pilates class. (Like one of each the entire 20 weeks of training) I didn’t do any weight or flexibility training. I am convinced that these two additions are essential to a successful marathon. We will see!!!
So I’ve decided to commit to this crazy goal, but which marathon shall I do? Hmmmm…
- Disney Marathon – well I live in Orlando and could easily do the Disney Marathon, but it’s in early January, which is about a week away. Yeah, not gonna happen! And, if I sign up for next January, I’ve already failed. And that’s just not acceptable!
- There’s the Space Coast Marathon which is nearby, but it’s held the Sunday after Thanksgiving. That would mean that we would have to skip our annual Thanksgiving trip to Charlotte… NOPE, not gonna do it!!
- ING New York Marathon in November would be fun and the application process (lottery) starts TODAY. This is not only a tough race to get into, but also a rather expensive one! But I signed up for the lottery and I’ll just have to wait and see!
- The Bank of America Chicago Marathon is in October and is reasonably priced at a mere $150. Registration opens in February, so that’s another option. And I know my hubs would come be my cheerleader, since he LOVES Chi-town!
- The St Augustine Marathon is very close to home, which saves $$ on airline tickets, and close enough that I could actually have some peeps at the race!! Hmm, yeah this may be the one!!! Unless, of course I get lucky and get into the ING NYC.
Stay tuned and I will keep you up-to-date on how the training is going!